Learning Impact Essay
Mark Dowler EDPD 587
During the past 6
months I gained insight into developing functional curriculum for low incidence
students. The insight I gained includes:
understanding learning needs, issues, and skills; becoming familiar with the
best practice of service and support plans; the function of low tech devices to
enhance learning and participation; designing intervention plans; and
collaborating with other teachers. This
insight promoted learning in my own practice, my practicum student MT, and a
student in my current Grade 1/2 class, AA.
I have learned the importance of a team based
approached. Learning about a team based
approached included: understanding the importance of the student’s team; the
importance of overcoming barriers associated with a team based approach; completing
quality assessments; planning; stating measureable IEP objectives; the
importance of both inclusion and development of functional skills. A student’s entire team should share a common
understanding for the student’s needs and priorities. I learned that team members,
who share a common understanding of the student, are more willing to work
together to improve the student’s learning and solve problems along the way. Myself, MT’s EA, and classroom teacher
all share this common understanding of MT’s needs and priorities, thus, the
EA and classroom teacher were able to help me during this course. MT’s EA and classroom teachers worked
with me to collect data of MT’s term 3 IEP update. I understood that
collecting data can be quite time consuming, therefore, I provided them with a
clearly written data collection sheet that and EA can follow since I was not
regularly in the classroom.
Developing
functional curriculum for MT and his IEP was not without challenges. I learned about the challenges of scheduling
incumbent teachers, therapists, and ministry support workers though
collaboration with other Support teachers in my school district. The challenge with scheduling meetings with
other team members is that they often must be scheduled months in advance,
which can cause delays in the program, especially if a meeting is
postponed. Another challenge I learned
of is applying and receiving ministry support, especially during a child’s
transition to adulthood. I learned of
these challenges related to the ministry when I first visited their
website. The ministry website was
spammed with broad Mission and Vision statements. For example, “Mission: To promote and deliver accessible, high-quality
intervention and support services for children and youth with special needs and
their families, through an integrated service delivery approach.” Board statements do not help intervention and
support services for children and youth.
Clear and measureable statements that can be supported and progressed
through quality assessment are what will help children and youth with special
needs. For example, during this course I
learned to change MT’s initial IEP objective of, “MT demonstrates appropriate behaviour in
the classroom” to “With verbal
prompting, MT will retrieve a book from the bookshelf 10/10 times. With
less than 3 prompts, MT will sit at this desk and explore the book for 5
minutes 3 out of 5 days per week.”
Although developing functional curriculum comes with challenges, I have
learned that the biggest part of learning in this course has been the
importance of how to find solutions to theses problems.
I learned the importance of long term
planning. Long term planning can be
completed in many forms, such as PATH and MAPS.
No matter the form of long term planning used, a long dream should be
established that includes predicated barriers, motivators, and fears. The dream
vision and motivators should be referred to whenever there are revisions to a
program. I was able to apply this during
the course when I ensured each activity of MT’s daily schedule was
associated with a motivator.
MT’s most prominent learning came in the
areas of peers and communication. Peers
and communication are extremely important as MT transitions to Middle
School. I learned the importance of developing early
relationships with the peers because early on the peers will learn and
understand MT’s way to communicate. MT
uses sign language and a BIGmack to communicate. During this course, I learned about the
step-by-step communicator. The
step-by-step communicator will help MT’s communication and peer development
because he loves to be silly with his peers.
The step-by-step communicator will help him tell silly jokes to his
peers.
Peers who can communicate with MT will provide
support in new classes, with new teachers, and in new schools.
Combing my own learning, and the learning I
have applied to MT’s program, I was able progress the learning of a
low-incidence child in my current grade 1/2 class, AA. I saw improvements in AA’s communication
through her use of the GoTalk20 for non-verbal communication. She used the GoTalk20 to communicate what she
wanted and to read books to her peers. AA also practiced her decision-making skills by choosing new friends
to read with. To develop AA’s functional
learning, she collected and sorted recycling in the school. To improve her involvement with peers, she
began inviting her friends to help. The
children would always return beaming because they got to work with AA. Although not formally written in her IEP, I
was able to keep track of the number of verbal prompts she would need in order
to say “ha” to me in the morning and “ba” to me at the end of the day. I communicated to her team how her
communication goals can be made more measureable and include stretch.
During the past 6 months my life has been
awarded with many learning opportunities that I am grateful for: teaching
Support, teaching a grade 1/2 class, the birth of my second son, and the opportunity
to learn with Terry Wendorf and Susan Batstone.
I believe that the insight I have gained will help me promote learning
in many students in my future career.
No comments:
Post a Comment